
This is the book we are reading in my Thursday night Bible study. The author, Henri J.M. Nouwen is a Catholic priest, called by the Lord to serve in many ways, not only by teahcing, but by helping out at a community for disabled folks called Daybreak in Canada (Toronto, I think). When we first started this small group meeting, we started with another one of his books. I like this one much better, I think it's something that is a little more applicable and easier to delve into.
This book is reflections on both the "Parable of the Prodigal Son" spoken by Jesus in Luke 15, and the painting by the same name by Rembrandt (seen on the front cover.) The first thing we looked at last night was "what impressions did you get from looking at the painting on the cover?" It is amazing how different personalities get different things from the same painting. I noticed first off that it appears as if the father is praying over his son that came back, with laying on of hands, healing supplication almost.
Some other impressions were that even thought the main characters are on a raised platform, the older brother off to the side appears to be elevated slightly above the father. The shaved head was also mentioned, as a sign of penitence, especially as when Rembrandt was painting, long manicured hair was a sign of wealth and well-to-do, even though a traveler as bad off as the son was would not have had the means to shave his head nor beard. There was other impressions, such as it being a dark appearing painting. Nouwen talks about his experience of seeing the original in Russia, and how it appeared to be colorful and light. Of course, we can only imagine what the original is like from this small reproduction.
There was actually only 6 of us there Thursday, out of a normal 10, and the smaller group made on of the guys open up more. In fact, this person is a new believer in Christ and hadn't prayed out loud before Thursday. It was awesome to see that breakthrough. I pray one week soon we will see him at church.
I actually started this post yesterday at work, but our boss, good ole' Taylor, let us go early. Yeah! :-) So now I'm finishing it. With promised pictures of "kitties on red rug."
You can already see the fur left by Kitty as he was rolling around on it earlier. I got thie rug at Target, to go with my other colorful rug. It goes nicely, a cheerful accent on a rather drab carpet.
It has been pressing on my heart for the last few minutes so I have to share this. This morning I received an email from a friend who is in same Thursday night Bible study. This email had me crying over my breakfast this morning, so powerful it is. She wasn't there this week as her 4 month old nephew had passed away the week before and the memorial service was Thursday. She was hurting bad, and asked us to pray for her family. Her brother, (whose baby this was) did not know the Lord, along with other family members.
The email this morning shared (here I am getting all teary eyed again) that her brother had come to know the Lord, and that He is working on her best friend heart. There were other blessing also throughout this, and seeing those things happening in front of you can make the grief a lot easier to bear. I have seen so many answered paryer this week, it is truly amazing. I know that our God is an Awesome GOD, and to see stuff like this make that awesomeness almost unbearable. Almost a pale imitation (very, very dim imitation) of what it will be like to stand in His presence.
Amen and Amen!!
1 comment:
I had to read a book in school by Henri Nouwen, it was called Reaching Out. I liked it and thought it had some good points. It was a little hard to read though, you really had to focus on the reading, sometimes I had to read the page twice, but I liked it.
I am sorry to hear of your friends nephew. God really does work in all circumstances though. It all happens for a reason.
Post a Comment