Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Mmm...Lace!

So I have a new favorite pattern/coffeetable/history book.


This book has the most beautiful lace patterns. My other favorite, "A Gathering of Lace" is also nice, but doesn't provide the rich historical detail that this brand new publication does. It centers specifically on the Victorian period (thus the title :-P), in which some of the first knitting pattern books were published by women. And some basic and beautiful lace patterns were finally written down in usable form. Up until then, most patterns were handed down through oral tradition, and some had been lost in translation, so to speak.

All of the patterns put forth in this book are very romantic, ranging from very easy to definitely challenging. :-) I can't wait!

In other news (but still fiber related) I made a cute little shawl out of the alpaca I spun up. No pics yet as it is still unblocked (and a present for someone.) I'm also almost finished with the last MasonDixon washcloth for a set for my boss, Janet. I am making them out of Tahki Cotton Classic in two shades of pink. (Yep, she likes pink just as much as I do!) A couple of nice soaps will be included.

So, as far as Christmas knitting goes, that leaves:

1 afghan
1 vest

left to finish! Phew! Almost there. Despite my busy schedule I feel I have managed to accomplish quite a lot in the last few weeks.

Well, my brother has had a crush on one of my good friends, L., for a while now. I am very proud to announce that they went on date #1 on Saturday night. :-) That's right, folks, he actually asked her out. Of course, when I found out exactly how he got her number, I was a little miffed (he stole it from me!) but since both parties were pleased by the outcome of said date, I got over it.

However, my other friend, M., has liked my brother (A.) for a while, but has fortunately been content with being his friend. It is quite an interesting triangle going on, with me as a 4th dimension observer. I am resolved to not interfere, only to pray diligently, that all parties concerned will follow and be obedient to the will of the Lord. It will be hard, I know, as I love both my sisters in Christ and my brother.

Speaking of brother, he is having his 2nd annual Chirstmas party at his place this coming Saturday - which means he will have to clean his house!!! Dum-dum-dummmm! (Ominously.) It'll be fun - I am to bring a couple of baked good items, so that will be the order of the evening tonight. I also need to make something for Thursday evening, as well as wrap up the presents for my Thursday night bible study group. Ohh, I can't wait to see the faces as they open their gifts. ;->

I gave my friend M. her present last Saturday, and it was so fun to see her face as she opened it. I will have a pic of the angora shawl I made her up sometime in the next couple of days. It was so soft and snuggly!

Hope everyone has a great week!

No comments: