Monday, November 12, 2007

One Year Blogiversary

Actually - its tomorrow but I'm writing this today! One whole year since I started this blog. When I first started doing this - I never really expected that I would continue with it. I've never been good at the journaling/diary thing, so this was just something to pass time with one day. Well, it hasn't been very regular but it has been consistant.

I know this started as a knitting/fiberish based blog with some personal ramblings included for spice, but in honor of this auspicious occasion, I am going to some where totally opposite, somewhere so outside the normal realm of me that you will wonder - WTH!!! Did someone else take over this blog? (Now anyone reading this who knows me keep in mind that I grew up with 2 brothers and a father who walked in the forest everyday, and saw stuff like this a lot.) Not to worry - normal fiber content to return at the end of this episode. ;-) (Note - If I offend any environmentalists with this - well, it my blog and I can do what I want with it. I think that this was pretty cool!)

Last Friday my brother and I were driving to Susanville in his new car. It was dark and pretty windy. Just before the 2nd Red Rock turn off something off-white appeared to blow off the side of the road under the tires. There was a pretty loud "thump" but we didn't think too much of it. I thought it was a box and there was no apparent damage. However, when we got out and looked later, this is what we saw:

Yeah, nice, huh? At first I thought it was a hawk, but when my dad looked at the feathers closer he thought it was some sort of owl. Either way, cool! Hoping there wasn't too much damage - either to the car or the bird, we pulled it out. BTW - in the pic above - that's all wing. The body was stuck horizontally into the opening in the grill there. The owl must have been startled from the side of the road, flew up, been blinded by the lights, and upon impact, simply broke it's neck. There was no other damage except for a couple of bent feathers and a mangled eye. My dad has a friend who does taxidermy, and hopefully he can use it.

Anyway, that was late at night so we put in a bag in the garage, washed our hands really, really well, and took more picutres in the morning. I have never seen and owl up close, and chances are neither have you. They are pretty cool birds of prey. You've heard how silent owls are - there's a reason for that. Almost all of their feathers are outlined in down. Even the main wing feathers were so soft and light to the touch. If you click on the pics they will go bigger for better detail.


As you can see this is a pretty big bird. Due to the 2 tufts of feathers on either side of the head (sort of like ears) my dad's pretty certain this is a Great Horned Owl. Get this! The wingspan - 44" wide. The body - approx 20" long. The only reason it didn't do any damage to the car, is because it was so light.


Above pics are the outside and inside of the claw. Check out those talons! There are at least a couple inches long, and super sharp. Neither mice nor rabbits really stand a chance. The padding on the inside is very nubbly. I wonder how tactile it is. A far cry from the feathering on the outside. If I hadn't know better I would have thought the leg was furred.


This is the inside of the wing. Fasinating, no? The whole construction boggles the mind, that something so light and fragile will keep a bird of this size in the air.

This is the underside of the body - the patterning is almost striped.

That beak is almost as deadly at the talons. Interesting how even around the beak there are the fine, fine feathers. From certain angles this definitely dead bird looked almost cuddly. But when you see the talons and beak, even the eyes, created for seeing in the dark - you know this bird would be far from cuddly.

I am sorry if this grossed some of you out. Personally, I thought it was really cool. God created owls for a purpose, as He did everything. But even a predator such as this has great beauty and structure. For example the structure of the wing. I imagine the angels in heaven have such wings. If I had wings, I would want them to look like that.

Now for some promised knitting:



I finished this up about 2 weeks ago, but have been so busy that I haven't had time to post pics of it. I don't know what's up with the color, but my camera didn't capture the changing colors at the bottom. It shades from pink into white.

Anyway, if I don't post next week - Happy Thanksgining! I love this time of year. We should be giving thanks every day of every week, but this time of year we remember it best. Thank you, Lord, for everything you have blessed me with.






2 comments:

Karyn said...

Wow! That is a beautiful owl! You're right, I have never seen one up close like that. The feathers are amazing! It looks like he was pretty jammed up in the car!
I don't think it is gross, I think it is facinating and am gald you shared the pictures!

Auntie Pudentaine said...

Not grossed out at all, the pictures are beautiful! Life has it's cycle and the poor owls number was up. I hope the friend is able to preserve it somehow.

Beautiful lace too!