Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Birthday Presents

Yep - I got me some loot!! ;-> Actually, I will say that it pays to have a wish list in various places and to let your family and friends know about it. 3 of the following books were on my Amazon wish list! :-)

This book was not on the list, but I am very glad to get it:
There are some yummy looking treats in here that I am anxious to try as soon as I have some time (and it cools down outside - 95 still the high today! Ick!)

The 3 on the right are pattern books I have wanted for a while now! The two in the middle just came out last month though, so I would have had to wait for them anyway! "Romantic Handknits" and "Lacy Little Knits" have both been well reviewed. The book on the left I picked up at Jimmy Beans Wool along with some yarn using my gift certificates. :-)
The patterns in "Romantic Handknits" are, for the most part, very cute, lacey, and form fitted. The pattern writing appears to be concise and very explanatory, Annie Modesitt has a way with yarn and pattern writing that is almost mystical. In the book there are 3 parts - tops, bottoms, and accessories. Included in the accessories section are 2 very cute hats, a pair of silk stockings, and a pair of opera gloves.

There are quite a few patterns I want to do including the following:
"Dark Victory" is knit out of "Malabrigo, " a soft luscious merino yarn. I have some already in a vibrant pink, I just need to pick up a couple of skeins of a contrasting color. The shaping in this sweater looks like it will flatter my figure, and I can always make the body and sleeves longer.

"Lacy Little Knits" is put together by the owner of Artyarns. Her yarns are fantastic, luxurious, and totally worth the price tag. I have knit with "Regal Silk" and want to get more. Have to save up though! :-) The patterns in the book are definitely one of a kind - challenging, inventive, and stuff I would like to try. She pushes the boundaries of yarns used together in a single article. If you take a look at the cover picture - that cardigan was knit with a worsted weight merino (orange) and a lace weight mohair (light stripes.) The effect is very cool, and creates vertical stripes (totally necessary for my figure.)

Another pattern I really want to knit is this:

"Diagonals in Flight" is a lacey, yet warm and soft cardigan. I don't think I will make out of the yarn called for (too much saving required) but I thought I would make it out of this soft gray Cashsoft DK:

Another gift card purchase, thank you to all who contributed! :-) Also on sale currently at "Jimmy Beans Wool!"

I also was able to get this:
Lane Borgesia "Cashwool" - a soft lace weight in a deep red. I already know what I am going to do with it. In fact I have another in gray that is slated for a "Victorian Lace Today" stole.

No comments: